Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring an Enterprise - Infrastructure/Cloud Architect for our Enterprise Architecture team in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
- Translate strategies into target architectures and roadmaps.
- Define current enterprise architecture and identify opportunities for improvements, alternatives or new capabilities
- Define or refine reference architectures
- Contribute in developing policies, standards and guidelines that direct selection, development, implementation, and use of infrastructure technology within the enterprise.
- Participate in evaluating the success of projects, identifying best practices and lessons learned. Then provide feedback to leadership and incorporate this information into future architecture standards
- Data Center transformation – Define critical infrastructure capabilities (Server, Compute and Storage) and associated roadmaps necessary to drive the data center transformation journey to become more digital and cloud based and be future growth ready.
- Reducing Technical Debt - Participate as a critical leader to identify solutions options, migration strategies and governance in support of Technical Debt reduction of existing infrastructure to achieve National Grid’s IT ambitions of cost effective, lean, scalable, robust, digital ready infrastructure
- Network of the future - Define the network of the future to support National Grid’s business ambitions including digital transformation. Partner with Network teams to define the architecture, capabilities and roadmaps
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Good presentation and communication skills with a high degree of comfort with technical and business audiences.
- Experience working with stakeholders to identify relevant requirements and understand how those requirements fit into the broader enterprise context for the application/platform.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computing, science, mathematics or equivalent experience
- Well-versed with IT fundamentals including project delivery methodologies like Agile and Waterfall, IT investment/portfolio management, Enterprise Architecture, information risk management, ITIL, and Service Management
- Have used architecture tools such as System Architect, Rational Rose, Casewise, Aris or equivalent
- Person should be familiar with or have some exposure/experience with Enterprise Architecture concepts, principles, processes and practices.
- A strong understanding across a broad range of infrastructure technologies and capabilities
- Ability to navigate complex landscape and produce realistic roadmaps
- Comfortable working in a fast paced and complex organization with a variety of stakeholders
- Experience working in an Enterprise Architecture team creating and producing a variety of artifacts including as-is, to-be, transitional roadmaps, principles, patterns and best practices.
- Previous hands on experience with Infrastructure technologies such as backup and archival, vSAN, Virtual Machines, Virtual Desktops, SANs, Network appliances, etc.
- Any experience in creating and implementing Network Architectures and concepts including LAN, WAN, SSN, iPSEC, Firewalls, cloud integrations, etc
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)