Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring a Director to be the Head of Product Management for our Digital Department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Lead our multi-disciplinary product team to deliver impactful, cutting edge products across the entire enterprise. In this role, you will own the product vision and strategy, roadmaps, and execution, with the ultimate measure of success being the impact and value driven by the products. You realize that a good product strategy is a balance of technical capability, user experience/fit, and business need. You are also able to balance both short term delivery for our customers and planning for longer term product growth.
You have intimate knowledge on how to develop and deliver software. You are comfortable translating business needs to technical requirements for engineers, and vice versa. In addition, you are well versed in making prioritization decisions on resourcing and features when conflicts arise.
As the leader for our product group, you will ensure that your team members have the resources they need to be successful and provide them with a clear plan of execution. In addition, you will bring product management best practices to the team to continue to grow and develop a world-class product management team.
- Engage with our global business units to develop their roadmaps, including: translating customer/business problems into discrete products and features, developing prioritizations, and executing to deliver
- Act as the overall product owner for National Grid’s digital acceleration team: ensure that there is an overarching, coherent product vision, and that our products are delivered at an appropriate cadence and scope; reconcile any roadmap conflicts, redundancies, synergies, and ultimately broker appropriate tradeoffs
- Manage the productivity of our team and guide them in career development. Act as an active coach by providing consistent feedback, sourcing developmental opportunities, and providing long-term career guidance
- Attract, recruit, and retain strong product management talent to grow our world-class team
- Lead the team in gathering use-cases and customer needs from a various of sources to inform product features and development
- Develop and set standards for our product management team, including requirements documents, sprint and backlog planning, tool usage, etc.
- Ensure that our products fit into the longer term technical and architectural vision of National Grid infrastructure
- Establish, track, and continually adjust our products based on designed feedback loops and experiments
- Collaborate with our Transformation and Governance office to ensure our products are driving value and can be integrated into the wider National Grid infrastructure
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- BA/BS in a technical field (computer science or engineering preferred)
- Experience leading multiple, high performing teams
- Prior experience in product management roles (6+ desired)
- 10+ years in software or related field
- A demonstrated and focused desire to build products and services that customers will love
- Working knowledge of agile development methodologies
- Experience launching multiple digital products
- A diligent attention to detail and strong technical intuition, as well as the ability to set and manage expectations at the executive level
- Understands the business change implications of digital transformation and can work with the business to facilitate a smooth transition to new ways of working
- Able to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Able to solve problems with agility
- Able to distill complex information into a consumable format for variety of audiences
- Able to communicate effectively to senior stakeholders
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)