Strategic Sourcing Specialist/Senior Strategic Sourcing Specialist
Waltham, Massachusetts, Syracuse, New York
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
What makes you successful at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Leadership 10
- Customer Focused 9
- Responsible 9
- Positive 8
- Results Driven 7
- Communicator 6
- Socially Conscious 5
- Team player
“ As Community Coordinator, I am lucky enough to work with so many deserving organizations that assist so many people in need. I am able to support these agencies with grants that will help them thrive and continue to do the amazing work that they do for our community. Being a full-time working mother, National Grid is extremely family oriented and truly cares about their employee’s best interest. ”Natalie Terhaar Coordinator, Community & Cust Mgmt
“ It's easy to represent National Grid because of its values … safety, ethics, community involvement. I see how my work makes a difference. There's a clear line of sight to the company’s goals. ”Katie Information Systems
“ Our company’s strongest asset is its people, I love coming to work every day and being able interact with all our business groups and connect with different people on a daily basis. National Grid has a very customer-focused culture. At National Grid we all work together and help each other out as it will ultimately make us better for our customers. ”Kelsey Kennedy Associate Coordinator for Pipeline Programs
“ The most rewarding part about my role is being able to help others improve their craft daily. I also enjoy being able to help our customers. Being a face in the field that they can connect to, helping them understand what is happening and why, and keeping them safe. National Grid's culture is one of diversity, supportive of its employees, and focused on customer satisfaction. ”Martin Sobers Lead Supervisor Operations, Field Ops
“ The most rewarding aspect of my career is the opportunity to shape the future of how we deliver major capital projects for our customers. Our culture has a strong focus on meeting customer expectations, employee and public safety, and operational efficiency. ”Cedric Williams VP Complex Capital Delivery Program, Complex Capital Del Project Team
We support developing the skills and capabilities of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young people gain meaningful employment.Learn more about our Student Programs
About the Position:
Position Responsibilities of (including but not limited to):
- With support of the Category Manager, work with Stakeholders to establish clear business needs, apply forward thinking skills to set long term category strategies
- Able to execute operationally, complex sourcing activities
- Manage the delivery of savings targets
- Mastery of transactional sourcing activities
- Understands sourcing processes, able to implement more than one option: RFX, e-sourcing or pooling
- Actively focused on maximizing contract values, tracks and reviews its benefits
- Encourages and rewards performance by suppliers
- Holds suppliers to account for delivery using performance data and quarterly business reviews (QBRs)
- Demonstrates a collaborative approach in delivering business outcomes
- Understands the broad range of environmental and social sustainability reporting
- Solid understanding of most contract terms and able to craft terms with legal and management support
- Establishes a negotiation plan with clarity of desired outcomes, leveraging specialist support where appropriate
- Basic understanding of adversary’s position, desired outcomes, and leverage
- Able to involve stakeholders in negotiation preparations and events
- Successful completion of professional negotiation coursework
- Able to identify the appropriate supplier performance measurements (KPIs)
- Identify ways to build and improve on existing processes
- Typically improve process efficiency by 5-10% over a 6-12 month period
- Obtain Six Sigma Green Belt or PEx equivalent
- Demonstrates ability in working with multiple ERP systems: SAP, Oracle, Spend Analytics
- Understands how to analyze large data sets and extract valuable information
- Able to build quantitative models and support decision making
- Evaluate and apply the concept of total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Solid understanding of criteria for alternative country sourcing
- Able to proactively identify how business needs may be met through alternative country sourcing
- Basic understanding of supplier landscape, risks, and benefits in 1-2 global markets
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A or B.S.) in supply chain, finance or business management required. C.P. M or equivalent certifications preferred. MBA, MS preferred.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in strategic sourcing, contract negotiations and vendor management. Strong working knowledge of SAP, Oracle, Ariba & P2P systems required.
- An equivalent combination of education and extensive subject matter expertise along with procurement process experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education requirements listed above.
- The candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, specifically in communications across a multi-national organization. Additionally, the candidate should be proficient in planning, collaboration, and analysis.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise.We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve.National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.