Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring a Test Evironment Engineering Manager for our IT Department in Waltham, MA.
Everyday we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The Test Environment Engineering Manager, reporting to the Director of Quality Engineering, is responsible for the development and ongoing management of our test data and environment management at a release/ enterprise level. This is a techno functional role with good leadership skills to orchestrate engineering & business components across portfolio’s by collaborating with different teams to publish a successful test data & environment tied to a release calendar along with driving efficiencies at portfolio & release level.
Will be responsible for an integration hub for more complex software engineering teams, sitting at the cross between Portfolio managers, Software engineering, Product management, Test data & environment management, Quality engineering and other engineering efforts including DevOps. This role will also be a gatekeeper for certain critical products where their judgement in collaboration with release management forms a parallel line of responsibility and authority in relation to production releases.
- The mission is to provide a stable framework for development, deployment, audit and accountability for software components. Should be able to define and implement the right methodologies and practices for test data and environment information at release level which often exists in disparate silos, and process automation tools for linking these silos are critical to the role today.
- You will be able to identify all the source, tools, environment, and other components that make up a particular release. The ability to integrate source, third party components, data, and deployment externals of a software system in order to guarantee operational stability.
- Should be focused on the coordination of individual releases from a test data & environment perspective within a larger organization. An organization with multiple software engineering groups may require a highly orchestrated series of releases over multiple months or years to implement a large-scale system. Environment Engineering Manager also involves the coordinated effort of multiple test environment leads and release engineers/managers to synchronize releases in the context of an IT portfolio.
- Test Environment Engineering manager should be able to utilize tools such as application release automation, TDM and continuous integration tools to help advance the process of Continuous Delivery and incorporate a culture of DevOps by automating a task so that it can be done more quickly, reliably, and is repeatable.
- Integrate with the disparate delivery team tools to aggregate all release, test, and quality data no matter which development methodology is in place.
- Track system dependencies within and across projects to help delivery teams navigate the complexity of enterprise releases when it comes to Test data and environment. Building an automated pipeline and process to ensure that the code will be safely propagated to production.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Excellent stakeholder management skills with credibility and gravitas to influence and lead thought at the senior level.
- Bachelor's Degree in computing, science or mathematics.
- 7+ years of experience working in the software quality engineering
- Thorough knowledge of Waterfall and Agile software delivery models (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
- Certification from commercial organizations such as Microsoft, Oracle etc. preferred
- Exposure to Enterprise level Stake holder management, Product Engineering, Agile/SaFe, Azure Cloud, Utilities domain experience, Test Data & Environment management, Test Automation tools, Bit Bucket, Jira/XRAY, Jenkins, Sonar Cube, CheckMarx, Delphix exposure to technology platforms like Salesforce, Oracle Fusion, MuleSoft, Maximo, SAP etc.
- Should also have advanced technical knowledge, including an understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines, feature toggling, gradual exposure, branch handling, etc. Continuous integration tools such as Jenkins can achieve efficient and fast delivery and accelerate time to value and even revenue.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)