Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring a Solution Engineering Manager for our Gas Business Enablement Group in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
We are searching for an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented individual to lead a team within our Solutions Engineering – CRM & Digital Transformation area. This leader will be responsible for leading an organization of Business Analysts, Solution Architects, Quality Engineers, and Software & System Engineers to implement Salesforce.com application/platform solutions through the Systems Development Life Cycle. This role will report to the Director of Solutions Engineering within the IT organization.
The Gas Business Enablement (GBE) program is a multi-year, multi-million dollar initiative that’s bringing transformative change to the way our US Gas teams work every day. By standardizing and simplifying both the processes and the technology we use to run our business, GBE is enabling teams to work even safer and smarter as we serve our customers.
With GBE, National Grid is making a significant investment in our people, processes and IT systems—all designed to overcome these challenges and drive our leadership in our rapidly changing industry.
We are utilizing the agile development and DevOps methodologies to deliver projects delivering business value across multiple applications including Salesforce, MuleSoft, Maximo, ESRI / GIS and WorkForce. If you are looking to join a dynamic, growing and challenging environment, GBE is the place for you.
- Define and implement development standards for the platform including code, configuration management, integration, security compliance and user experience.
- Own the Deployment Plan for the platform ensuring all development and deployments are planned and executed in a controlled way.
- Ensure solutions meet quality standards
- Identifies, compares and recommends technical options provided by the platform.
- Work with Commercial, Enterprise Architecture, Security, Infrastructure & Operations and Strategy & Innovation to ensure holistic solution meets IT strategy and standards.
- Reviews code to ensure it adheres to best practices & coding policies.
- Responsible for creating and tracking WBS schedule for Solution Development tasks.
- Partner with Solution Architects to create High level conceptual design
- Create detailed designs compliant with National Grid and Development standards and policies (using both internal and partner resource). Works with the Enterprise Architecture team to ensure architecture aligns with business objectives & IT Strategy.
- Development and configuration management (planning, quality control, issue management and code management).
- Defect Management throughout test, deployment and post go live support.
- Accountable for Unit Testing, System Testing, Integration Testing, & Performance Testing.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Excellent stakeholder management skills with credibility and gravitas to influence and lead thought at the senior level.
- Manages a team of Software & System Engineers to implement application/platform solutions through the SDLC - requirements, design, testing, deployment, & post go-live support.
- Manages Business Requirements/User Stories, non-functional requirements, Functional Design, System Test Plans, & Deployment Plans.
- Ensure security deliverables are executed (scans and pen testing etc.).
- Manage any partner resources engaged to carry out development work.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering or in related field; Master's Degree preferred
- At least 10+ years of experience working in the technology industry with 3+ years in leadership role.
- At least 5 years experience working in the Salesforce.com ecosystem
- Experience leading IT teams as part of a large multi-year, business-critical technology program
- Strong knowledge of Salesforce.com, Field Service Lighting experience a plus
- Thorough knowledge of Agile software delivery models (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
- Ability to promote and role model a team-oriented environment
- Ability to lead a global technology teams in different locations
- Highly developed negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)