Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring a Solution - Data Architect for its Gas Business Enablement group in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The Solution - Data Conversion Architect is a collaborative role on the Solution Engineering Data Engineering Team responsible for designing sound, scalable, and performant solutions that meet the requirements in a large data volume enterprise. Solutions and design trade-offs are communicated to business and technical stakeholders for effective decision making.
This candidate will influence an integral part of a major IT initiative to enable National Grid Business Partners by improving how our employees serve our customers today and by creating the platform for tomorrow’s growth. This is an integral role for this enablement program to deliver changes across people, process, systems and technology.
The Gas Business Enablement (GBE) program is a multi-year, multi-million dollar initiative that’s bringing transformative change to the way our US Gas teams work every day. By standardizing and simplifying both the processes and the technology we use to run our business, GBE is enabling teams to work even safer and smarter as we serve our customers.
With GBE, National Grid is making a significant investment in our people, processes and IT systems—all designed to overcome these challenges and drive our leadership in our rapidly changing industry.
We are utilizing the agile development and DevOps methodologies to deliver projects delivering business value across multiple applications including Salesforce, MuleSoft, Maximo, ESRI / GIS and WorkForce.
- Lead data conversion projects to migrate legacy data to target platforms
- Manage data mappings from source to target solutions for data synch and conversion process flows
- Manage the Enterprise Data Catalog and perform analysis to improve understanding of upcoming changes to target systems
- Ensure data models are current and compliant with data controls
- Assist in determining the cross-application data standards, data distribution standards and promote data-driven design
- Evaluate database deliverables throughout development to ensure quality and traceability to requirements and adherence to all quality management plans and standards.
- Work with other architects to ensure that all components work together to meet objectives and performance goals as defined in the requirements. Identify and communicate any cross-area or cross-release issues that may affect other areas of the project.
- Participate in go-live preparation activities such as QA, dress rehearsals, issue remediation, cutover and go-live aftercare
- Participate in data management maturity assessments to identify gaps and pain points for capabilities including data quality, governance, analytics, metadata management, master data management
- Seek opportunities for continuous improvement in processes, procedures and systems with regards to data.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Good stakeholder management and influencing skills at colleagues, partners/vendors and project sponsors.
- Good written and verbal communications skills.
- 5+ years’ experience in data mapping, modeling and working with teams to define data models
- 5+ years’ experience in transactional data conversions
- 3+ years’ experience in application and/or database development
- 3+ years’ experience in SQLServer, SSIS and SSMS or other database platforms
- Experience in a dynamic work environment
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment, and be capable of building and maintaining positive relationships with other staff, departments, and customers.
- Strong communicator
- Experience with cloud database architecture is a plus
- Experience with Snowflake is a plus
- Experience with Agile/Lean software development process and practices is a plus
- Experience in with SaaS solutions such as Salesforce, ESRI and Workforce is a plus
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)