Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business
National Grid IT team is currently seeking an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented individual to work in Workforce software within the Engineering systems area of our Gas Business Enablement (GBE) program. This individual will provide the business knowledge and technical expertise to implement strategies, evaluate products, and build upon an infrastructure that supports the ever-changing needs of our customers. The successful candidate will work hand-in-hand with Business Leads, IT Business Partners, and IT Project Managers to roadmap, plan, and deliver on environment build-outs. The individual will be expected to be the key interface between the IT Development and the IT Project Management teams. This role will report to the Solutions Engineering Manager within the National Grid IT organization.
The Gas Business Enablement (GBE) program is a multi-year, multi-million dollar initiative that’s bringing transformative change to the way our US Gas teams work every day. By standardizing and simplifying both the processes and the technology we use to run our business, GBE is enabling teams to work even safer and smarter as we serve our customers.
With GBE, National Grid is making a significant investment in our people, processes and IT systems—all designed to overcome these challenges and drive our leadership in our rapidly changing industry.
We are utilizing the agile development and DevOps methodologies to deliver projects delivering business value across multiple applications including Salesforce, MuleSoft, Maximo, ESRI / GIS and WorkForce.
If you are looking to join a dynamic, growing and challenging environment, GBE is the place for you.
• Provides technical direction for the design, development, and systems integration from definition phase through implementation
• Ensures system, technical & product architecture is compliant with and adheres to all National Grid operational, architectural, and design standards and principles
• Reviews proposals for technology systems. Easily recognizes system deficiencies and implements effective solutions
• Applies significant knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve solution/service delivery for internal and external stakeholders
• Understands complex technology concepts and effectively employs different solutions as are appropriate to the engagement
• Owns technology oversight and is responsible for managing technical risks throughout various projects
• Creates and enables technical plans and revises as appropriate, to meet changing needs and requirements
• Ensures the timely completion and approvals of project deliverables
• Identifies project risks and plans/implement mitigation actions
• Keeps team members well-informed of status and serves as liaison between both vendors and project portfolios
• Possesses demonstrated work experience with multiple vendors and technology portfolios
• Consistently delivers high-quality service to all stakeholders
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar field; or equivalent work experience.
• Proficient in Workforce software configuration, integration, application development, and maintenance
• Strong hands-on technical knowledge in application development and support of enterprise Workforce software implementations, in a mid to large-scale enterprise
• 5-7 years’ experience in a SDLC environment
• Knowledge and experience with Agile, SAFe, and Waterfall software development methodologies
• Possesses significant knowledge of client/server and web-based systems architectures
• Understands networking concepts in a WAN environment
• Fundamental database administration of Oracle and MS SQLServer in Azure environments
• Experience with deploying Workforce software functionality via web services
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)