Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring for a Senior Engineering Manager - Data Engineeringfor our Solution Delivery, Database Administration department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid IT team is currently seeking an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented individual to lead a team within our Solutions Engineering Data Engineering organization. This leader will be responsible for leading an organization of Data Architects, Solution Architects, Data Quality Engineers and Data Engineers to implement Data solutions. This role will report to the Director of Data Engineering within the National Grid IT organization.
As the Senior Engineering Manager of Data Engineering, you will partner closely with owners of business-critical initiatives throughout the entire business to build data systems and make better decisions with timely, accurate, and contextually relevant data.
• Provides technical leadership in Data Engineering across enterprise information domains and implement solutions to drive trust and confidence in our data assets.
• Be a hands-on leader and drive continuous improvements across different data management areas and technology solutions.
• Define and implement development standards for the Data platform including code, configuration management, integration, security compliance and user experience.
• Own the Deployment Plan for the data platform ensuring all developments and deployments are planned and executed in a controlled way.
• Identifies, compares and recommends technical options provided by the platform.
• Work with Commercial, EA, Security, Infrastructure & Operations and Strategy & Innovation to ensure holistic solution meets IT strategy and standards.
• Manages a team of Data Architects, SAs, Data Quality Engineers, and Data Engineers to implement application/platform solutions through the SDLC - requirements, design, testing, deployment, & post go-live support.
• Delivers large complex Data Management programs.
• Reviews code (for in-house development) to ensure it adheres to best practices & coding policies.
• Detailed data design compliant with National Grid and Development standards and policies (using both internal and partner resource). Works with the Enterprise Architecture team to ensure architecture aligns with business objectives & IT Strategy.
• Development and configuration management (planning, quality control, issue management and code management).
• Defect Management (for developed items only) throughout test, deployment and post go live support.
• Accountable for Unit Testing, System Testing, Integration Testing, & Performance Testing.
• Ensure security deliverables are executed (scans and pen testing etc.).
• Manage any partner resources engaged to carry out development work.
• Provide status updates, risks, issues, costs through to the National Grid project manager in the Business Partner team.
• Responsible for appropriate resourcing strategy and planning for the development teams.
• Hire and manage technical resources aligned with resourcing strategy.
• Performance Management, Objective Setting, Career Development, & coaching for all internal staff.
• Establish and maintain relationship with Application Development Application Maintenance (ADAM) partners where internal skills are not available (aligned with resource strategy).
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Good stakeholder management and influencing skills at project stakeholder level.
- Ability to convey conceptual architecture or detailed architecture depending on audience.
- Able to influence and manage senior stakeholders.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering or in related field; Master's Degree preferred
• At least 15+ years of experience working in the technology industry with 5+ years in leadership role.
• In-depth understanding of the Big Data ecosystem, applications, and services
• Experience with delivering programs using BI and Data Visualization tools like Power BI, Tableau, Alteryx
• Experience with AWS, Google Cloud or Azure cloud administration services
• 5+ years of hands-on experience with major data platforms and technologies for managing structured, semi-structured and unstructured data.
• 5+ years of hands-on experience with major databases like Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc.
• 5+ years of hands-on experience in implementing solutions involving Data Management (incl. Data Warehouses and Data Lakes), Data Governance, Control & Quality, and Data Analytics applications and tooling.
• Strong software product development background in the enterprise data management domains
• Proficient in SDLC methodologies – Waterfall, Agile & DevOps solutions delivery models
• Ability to promote and role model a team-oriented environment
• Highly developed oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
• Knowledgeable in data privacy and security, including applicable laws and regulations
• Thorough knowledge of Agile software delivery models (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)