Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring for a Senior Architect, Database Administration for our Data Engineering department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid IT team is currently seeking an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented leader to lead major initiatives within our Solutions Development organization as the Manager, Data Platform Engineering. This leader will be responsible for the management and administration of the Data and Analytics platforms within National Grid. This leader will lead an organization of data base administrators, data platform administrators, Analytics tools administrators, and data platform architects. This role will report to the Manager, Data Platform Engineering, as part of Global Data Engineering team within the National Grid IT organization.
• Provides architectural vision for the Database landscape.
• Provides thought leadership in the database area.
• Interfaces across several channels, acting as a visionary to proactively assist in defining direction for future projects.
• Impacts the technology function through contribution to technical direction and strategic decisions.
• Ensures stability by pro-actively managing databases in the organization.
• Improves performance by reviewing SQL and database models.
• Works with the application teams on design and application performance.
• Maintains continuous awareness of business, technical, and infrastructure issues and acts as a sounding board or consultant to aid in the development of creative solutions.
• Architect, engineer, implement and administer all database platforms, including, but not limited to Oracle, Postgres, SQL on Azure, Snowflake, etc.
• Develop and implement policies and procedures, including those for database standards, disaster recovery, and service levels
• Benchmark, analyze, report and make recommendations for the improvement and growth of all database platforms and infrastructure
• Provides leadership to solution engineering teams, and proactively engages with teams to promote process and organizational improvements that enhance overall effectiveness.
• Ensures system, technical and product architectures are aligned with business objectives
• Contribute and influence and National Grid Engineering Systems architecture
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Good stakeholder management and influencing skills at colleagues, partners/vendors and project sponsors.
- Good written and verbal communications skills.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Big Data Administration, Systems Administration or in the related field
• Must be an expert in Oracle RAC.
• Requires sophisticated analytical thought to resolve database issues in a variety of complex situations.
• Deep hands on experience in Oracle database architecture design and development
• Extensive use of Oracle RMAN and Streams, Oracle ASM, PL/SQL programming, Shell Scripts
• 10+ years of hands-on experience in Oracle database administration
• 5+ years of hands-on experience in administering other major databases like SQL Server, Snowflake, etc.
• Experiencing setting strategy, developing database solutions, process re-engineering, and database optimization. Experience with multiple database technology is desirable
• Strong understanding of Azure and its associated data platforms
• Experience managing in-house, outsourced, and SaaS-based database services and platforms
• General knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
• Ability to conduct and direct research into IT issues and products as required
• Highly developed oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
• Knowledgeable in data privacy and security, including applicable laws and regulations
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)