Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring a Principle QA Automation Architect for our Quality Engineering department in Waltham,MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid IT team is currently seeking an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented Principal Product Architect/Owner within NG Automation Engineering & Assets team. This role will be responsible for Maintaining, building & implementing Test architecture/ Test Automation development standards that are consistent across NG application ecosystem. Will collaborate with the business teams, Platform Engineering, Group Data & Analytics, IT Strategy, EPMO, CIO & other Engineering teams to deliver business outcomes. This role will own suite of automated testing framework that empower businesses to deliver meaningful and personalized experiences to their customers in real time and at scale, while allowing us to lower integration costs with other applications, supporting key decisions and optimizing the customer experience. The Product Architect will incorporate digital delivery centric best in class product planning practices.
- Form the construction of a new framework and tools to help augment existing automation frameworks. Additionally, will be working closely with the DevOps team to include automated tests and testing infrastructure into the DevOps pipeline strategically
- Assess the gaps in current test coverage and build a testing strategy on filling the gaps on tests/Test code such as Smoke, Regression, System Acceptance solution.
- Design/ build/ refactor test automation framework, harnesses, and code libraries to enable the team to use and enhance them across successive projects, thereby improving automation development quality, reusability, efficiency, and team productivity.
- Work with development engineers/ architects to identify technical needs of testing Infrastructure and drive to closure on problems found, including recreating failures and verifying fixes.
- Provide technical and process leadership to project teams to plan and execute integration and verification testing in a scrum environment.
- Develop and implement solutions for improving Software quality and reducing defect leakage
- Supports implementation and enhancements of test automation tools and emulators
- The candidate will own reviewing automated testing product strategy, product roadmap and product design/framework.
- 10+ years of experience in software testing or development, with increasing levels of responsibility leading to technical leadership
- Extensive experience in multiple operating systems - Windows, LINUX, Android and iOS Proven experience in driving significant ROI through test automation in terms of quality and speed for API, mobile, microservices, and traditional applications.
- Complete understanding of the technology required for cloud computing, IAAS, PAAS and SAAS modules experience.
- Experience in DevOps in a large enterprise environment and ability to take lead role in the design and analysis for driving adoption of cloud based practices.
- Expertise in troubleshooting very complex distributed environments, including following stack traces back to code and come up with a good root cause
- The ability and the knowledge to implement secure software delivery practices, e. g. code scanning, vulnerability assessment, and penetration testing.
Prefer either one of the following degrees and experience achieved:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with 10 years of experience in quality engineering
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) with 8-10 years of experience in quality engineering
- Experience with product & project delivery model and able to distinguish benefits and gaps between the two.
- Sound knowledge across industry wide language and framework choices: Java, Java Script, JUnit, Node, Appium, Jbehave/Cucumber, Jasmine, Protractor, Databases, APIs (REST/SOAP), Code scanning tools (e. g. Sonar), Continuous Delivery (e. g. Jenkins/Bamboo), and batch automation (Spring batch applications).
- 2+ years’ experience as a Product Architect in a technology company
- Experience with open source and vendor driven test automation tools, frameworks, and language choices
- Strong understanding of integration, verification and validation testing techniques, including continuous integration and white-box, black-box, coverage, reliability and regression testing.
- Experience with software test strategy which includes test hierarchy, test design, test levels and test methods.
Nice to Have:
- Certified Product Manager
- Certifies Scrum Master
- Experience in Utilities organizations or other hightly regulated industry
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)