Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is seeking an innovative, and experienced Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to join the Security Platform End user Engineering team. The SREs are the primary technical resource for the complex and diverse platforms and systems. The successful candidate(s) will possess deep technical knowledge on a number of security technologies and have a solid understanding of information security and networking
• Provides leadership and guidance to less experienced engineers in the platform security organization.
• Subject Matter expert highly skilled in the installation and configuration of endpoint security tools such as antivirus, configuration management, and asset recognition.
• Experience with Endpoint detection and protection tools such as McAfee, FireEye HX, Symantec, Tanium etc.
• Experience with Security Hardening Policies such as Firewall, CIS level I&II etc.
• Knowledge of Deployment tools such as GPO, SCCM, IBM Big FIX, AD etc
• Knowledge of Disk Encryption tools such as Checkpoint, Bitlocker etc
• Experience securing applications, data at rest and in transit at the workstation, server and cloud
• Strong information security background in supporting enterprise security applications and services.
• Strong understanding of Cyber Security and associated domains.
• Knowledge of Identity and Access Management systems and Role Based Access Control.
• Architect/Engineer Data Leakage Prevention Security Engineering a plus
• Engineering and development of security agents / solutions to integrate into Security Orchestration, Automation and Response.
• Advise on Data Leakage Policy Development
• Engineering for back-end management server infrastructure and databases
• Integration with analytics and compliance tooling
• Create, review, maintain and update documentation including Documenting & Publishing fixes in central knowledge base
• Work with global colleagues to provide globally consistent processes and solutions.
• Penetration testing
• Hardening of network, software and firmware.
• Security tool development (e.g. scanning tools).
• Security metrics definition and delivery.
• Collaborate and consult across all security towers and teams and across all of Information Technology.
• Champion secure coding practices.
• Experience conducting analysis of electronic media, packet capture, log data in support of enterprise level information security operations.
• Experience documenting, building and testing reference architectures.
• Expertise consulting with stakeholders to define needs, develop requirements and analyze findings to advise and recommend solutions.
• Excellent communication, written, and presentation skills with the ability to present to a variety of external audiences, including senior executives
• Delivery of high performing low latency services
• Definition and monitoring of service level indicators and objectives to ensure platform help
• Response and problem resolution
• Capacity planning
• Change management
• Automation, automation, automation
• Vendor relationship management
• Partner with the security incident response team to ensure customer needs are met
• Create innovative solutions to automate and reduce timeframes for operational changes as well as initial installation of the platform
A strong multi-tasker with a keen eye for detail that thrives in a fast-paced work environment. Innovative, analytical and driven.
- Bachelor’s Degree with concentration in engineering/computer science or minimum 5 years’ successful [MCI1] experience in similar role.
- Working experience and knowledge of operating systems (e.g.: Windows, UNIX/Linux) and databases
- Knowledge in various scripting and programming languages (Java, Perl, Python, C++ etc.) a plus
- Must be able to work independently as well as work as part of a fast-moving team
- Ability to meet deadlines, time constraints and periodic requirements
- Experience designing secure networks, systems and resilient application architectures
- Professional experience in a system administration role supporting multiple platforms and applications
- Understanding of entire technology stack of networks, databases, applications and endpoints
- Experience planning, researching and developing security policies, standards and procedures is a plus.
- Ability to learn and retain information on multiple products
- Detailed-oriented with strong communication, Interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation
- Experience with modern end-point protection tools a must
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)