Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business
National Grid is seeking an innovative, and experienced Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to join the Security Platform Cloud Engineering team. The SREs are the primary technical resource for the complex and diverse cloud platforms and systems. The successful candidate(s) will possess deep technical knowledge on a number of cloud security technologies and have a solid understanding of information security and cloud technology implementation in an automated, measurable and repeatable manner.
• Provides leadership and guidance to less experienced engineers in the platform security organization.
• Subject Matter expert highly skilled on the implementation of templated cloud technologies.
• Experience securing applications, data at rest and in transit at the workstation, server and cloud
• Strong information security background in supporting enterprise security applications and services.
• Strong understanding of Cyber Security and associated domains.
• Good working knowledge of at least one scripting language.
• Knowledge of Identity and Access Management systems and Role Based Access Control.
• Architect/Engineer Data Leakage Prevention Security Engineering a plus
• Engineering and development of security agents / solutions to integrate into Security Orchestration, Automation and Response.
• Engineering for back-end management server infrastructure and databases
• Integration with analytics and compliance tooling
• Create, review, maintain and update documentation including Documenting & Publishing fixes in central knowledge base
• Work with global colleagues to provide globally consistent processes and solutions.
• Knowledge of penetration testing techniques desirable.
• Knowledge of defense in depth practices.
• Security metrics definition and delivery.
• Collaborate and consult across all security towers and teams and across all of Information Technology.
• Knowledge of secure coding practices beneficial
A strong multi-tasker with a keen eye for detail that thrives in a fast-paced work environment. Innovative, analytical and driven.
Bachelor’s Degree with concentration in engineering/computer science or minimum 2-3 years’ successful experience in similar role.
Working experience and knowledge of operating systems (e.g.: Windows, UNIX/Linux) and databases
Microsoft Azure knowledge highly desirable.
Knowledge in various scripting and programming languages (Java, Perl, Python, PowerShell etc.) a plus
Must be able to work independently as well as work as part of a fast-moving team
Ability to meet deadlines, time constraints and periodic requirements
Experience designing secure networks, systems and resilient application architectures
Professional experience in a system administration role supporting multiple platforms and applications
Understanding of entire technology stack of networks, databases, applications and endpoints
Experience planning, researching and developing security policies, standards and procedures is a plus.
Ability to learn and retain information on multiple products
Detailed-oriented with strong communication, Interpersonal and organizational skills.
Must participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)