Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring for a Manager – Data Platform Engineeringfor our Data Engineering department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid IT team is currently seeking an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented leader to lead major initiatives within our Solutions Development organization as the Manager, Data Platform Engineering. This leader will be responsible for the management and administration of the Data and Analytics platforms within National Grid. This leader will lead an organization of data base administrators, data platform administrators, Analytics tools administrators, and data platform architects. This role will report to the Director of Global Data Engineering within the National Grid IT organization.
• Manage and administer enterprise data platforms (Snowflake, SQL on Azure, Oracle, etc.), enterprise analytics platforms (Power BI, Tableau, Alteryx, etc.), database platforms (Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, etc.), data quality tools (IDQ, etc.), data catalog tools (IDC, Collibra, etc.), data integration tools (SSIS, Informatica, etc.) and other data management tools.
• Sets technology strategy and direction for the data and analytics platform; partners with business stakeholders and influences overall strategy and use of data management capabilities
• Initiates and fosters relationships with business partner teams and executives, technology leaders, vendors, and partners; develops relationships that promote trust and increase efficiency and effectiveness
• Hires and leads managers and technical leaders; coaches and counsels team members, and determines and manages staffing strategy and plan, consistent with the needs of the team
• Provides leadership to solution engineering teams, and proactively engages with teams to promote process and organizational improvements that enhance overall effectiveness.
• Prepares and presents program-level communications for executives and stakeholders.
• Defines performance objectives and development plans for team members and ensures alignment with department objectives
• Ensures system, technical and product architectures are aligned with business objectives
• Be a hands-on leader and drive continuous improvements across different data management areas and technology solutions.
• Contribute and influence and National Grid Engineering Systems architecture
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to analyze complex business problems, formulate & support delivery of appropriate solutions whilst maintaining customer satisfaction.
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with staff and managers at all levels across National Grid and partner organizations.
- Working closely with customers on issue resolution; Running communication campaigns and initiatives.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Big Data Administration, Systems Administration or in the related field
• At least 15 years of experience working in the technology industry with 5+ years in a managerial role.
• In-depth understanding of the Big Data ecosystem, applications, and services
• Experience with installing, configuring, upgrading, tuning, administrating and troubleshooting BI and Data Visualization tools like Power BI, Tableau, Alteryx
• Experience with installing, configuring, upgrading, tuning, administrating and troubleshooting Discovery and Data Wrangling tools, Data Science Notebooks and Data Science Workbench tools
• Experience with AWS, Google Cloud or Azure cloud administration services would be an asset
• 5+ years of hands-on experience in administering major data platforms and technologies for managing structured, semi-structured and unstructured data.
• 5+ years of hands-on experience in administering major databases like Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc.
• Snowflake administration experience is highly desirable.
• 5+ years of hands-on experience in implementing solutions involving Data Management (incl. Data Warehouses and Data Lakes), Data Governance, Control & Quality, and Data Analytics applications and tooling.
• Strong software product development background in the enterprise data management domains
• Proficient in SDLC methodologies – Waterfall, Agile & DevOps solutions delivery models
• Ability to promote and role model a team-oriented environment
• Highly developed oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
• Knowledgeable in data privacy and security, including applicable laws and regulations
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)