Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring a Lead Software Engineer for our Gas Business Enablement group in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, commun ities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The Gas Business Enablement (GBE) program is a multi-year, multi-million dollar initiative that’s bringing transformative change to the way our US Gas teams work every day. By standardizing and simplifying both the processes and the technology we use to run our business, GBE is enabling teams to work even safer and smarter as we serve our customers.
With GBE, National Grid is making a significant investment in our people, processes and IT systems—all designed to overcome these challenges and drive our leadership in our rapidly changing industry.
We are utilizing the agile development and DevOps methodologies to deliver projects delivering business value across multiple applications including Salesforce, MuleSoft, Maximo, ESRI / GIS and WorkForce.
We are searching for an innovative, adaptable, and results-oriented individual to join our Solutions Engineering – CRM & Digital Transformation area as a lead software engineer. This leader will be responsible for leading other engineers, working across scrum teams using Scaled Agile Framework to implement Salesforce.com application/platform solutions through the Systems Development Life Cycle. This role will report to the CRM Solutions Engineering Manager within the National Grid IT organization.
- Define and implement development standards for the platform including code, configuration management, integration, security compliance and user experience.
- Identifies, compares and recommends technical options provided by the platform.
- Participate in all phases of software development life cycle including functional analysis, development of technical requirements, prototyping, coding, testing, deployment and support
- Develop high-quality and scalable application logic with Apex and SOQL
- Apply best practices and design patterns of best-of-breed applications developed on the Salesforce.com platform
- Reviews code of others to ensure it adheres to best practices & coding policies
- Create and execute unit, integration and user acceptance test plans, including use cases and test data. Ensure solutions meet quality standards
- Work closely with DevOps team for the platform ensuring all development and deployments are planned and executed successfully.
- Development and configuration management (planning, quality control, issue management and code management).
- Defect Management throughout test, deployment and post go live support.
- Partner with Solution Architects to create High level conceptual design
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Demonstrate valued business partner capabilities and behaviors in all interactions with colleagues, vendors and business stakeholders.
- Self-directed and motivated.
- Possession of excellent interpersonal, team, and relationship-building skills.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering or in related field strongly preferred
- At least 10+ years of experience working in the technology industry with 3+ years in senior engineer role
- At least 5 years experience working in the Salesforce.com ecosystem
- Strong knowledge of Salesforce.com, Field Service Lighting experience a plus
- Thorough knowledge of Agile software delivery models (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
- Ability to promote and role model a team-oriented environment
- Experience mentoring junior developers
- Ability to lead a global technology teams in different locations
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)