Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The primary role of the Technical Lead will be to lead a team of technical professionals consisting of internal and external partner resources in the development and delivery of project solutions. The Technical leads will oversee a team focused on software development, technical issue resolution, and delivery of the final solution.
The Technical Lead will work hand in hand with Project Managers to plan, roadmap and deliver on environment build-outs. The Technical Lead will be the interface between the development team and the project management. He/she will support the creation and execution of business critical or complex technical solutions that meet user needs and improve business performance by providing technical analysis, problem solving, and troubleshooting as part of a project development team.
He/she will support the creation and execution of business critical or complex technical solutions that meet user needs and improve business performance by providing technical analysis, problem solving, and troubleshooting as part of a project development team.
Key Accountabilities including, but not limited to:
- Provides technical direction for the application design, development, and systems integration from definition phase through implementation.
- Applies significant knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve solution delivery for internal and external stakeholders.
- Reviews proposals for technology systems.
- Easily recognizes system deficiencies and implements effective solutions.
- Ensure the timely completion of technical of project deliverables
- Technical Effort Management
- Creates and enables technical plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Keeps SDM and PMs well informed of status
- Owns technology oversight and is responsible for managing technical risks throughout various projects.
- Identifies project risks and plans mitigation action with the PM at project level
- Manages technical resources within budget and project schedules.
- Consistently delivers high-quality service to all stakeholders.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Demonstrate valued business partner capabilities and behaviors in all interactions with colleagues, vendors and business stakeholders.
- Self-directed and motivated.
- Possession of excellent interpersonal, team, and relationship-building skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering, or similar field; or equivalent work experience• 8-10 years of Technology Lead/Project Management experience• Experience building out/standing up environments from an infrastructure perspective for delivery
- Experience working as a strategic liaison/technology consultant between portfolios and business units
- Ability to manage vendor relationships and hold vendors accountable for specified results
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- 5+ years’ experience in a SDLC environment
- Ability to influence and build relationships and demonstrate team leadership in all interactions.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Communicates effectively with stakeholders to identify needs and propose alternative solutions
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)