Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring a Technical Product owner for our IT Department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
- Engage with stakeholders in various groups to understand larger strategic objectives, lead refinement sessions
- Own, prioritize, and maintain the Product Backlog, including definition of epics, user stories, acceptance criteria
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of designers, business analysts, developers, testers and others to develop and execute against Product Roadmaps and Release Plans
- Use data to identify opportunities and deliver recommendations
- Continuously and transparently communicate with internal stakeholders the prioritization of the Product Backlog and the status of development efforts via Product Demos, Release Plans and other means
- Break down epic-level user stories into detail-level stories consumable and testable by a scrum team
- Define, prioritize, and drive realization of specific product vision
- Act as the subject-matter expert for assigned products
- Work with Engineers to help direct, motivate, and guide them to deliver
- Identify and implement improvement opportunities (both process and technical) from risk registers, customer feedback, supplier performance reports and output of incident/problem management processes.
- Manage and recruit business analyst team in line with long-term skills and capabilities aligned to the investment and capability development plans.
- Lead on defining and implementing continuous improvement, knowledge sharing and development for the business analyst practice team.
- Provide strategic direction to the business analyst team and undertake project related analysis work while holding accountability for the quality and consistency across projects of team output.
- Drive the implementation of consistent processes and methodologies across a capability ensuring compliance with key business requirements.
- Complete all support documentation on assigned projects, including creating and updating all user and technical procedures/manuals, business, and functional requirements, traceability matrices, process flows, operational support documentation and archives.
- Ensure accurate root cause analysis and corrective action identification, with the eco-system partners followed by providing architectural oversight and guidance for major changes to operational systems.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Ability to clearly articulate requirements and prioritize them.
- Proven track record of technical leadership roles delivering solutions within defined timeframes
- Aptitude - passion for products, empathy for customers, quick learner, self-starter, confident presenter, good writer
- Solid technical background with understanding and/or hands-on experience in software development and platform technologies such CRM, Asset Mgmt., Jira
- Experience with Reporting, Analytics, Business Intelligence, and/or AI
- Strong project management, planning, and organization skills, including ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong drive and high energy; action and results oriented
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years progressive experience developing scalable, distributed applications
- Experienced in cloud applications and infrastructure
- Technical skill on CRM Salesforce, Java based technology and Knowledge Management application
We also expect:
- You have a passion for building a software with lean product development approach
- You are innovative, Decisive, and product-driven
- Good experience with scrum and other Agile development methodologies
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills - ability to work with a diverse team and influence change across functional and business boundaries
- Strong Business acumen and experience in utility/retail industry is preferred
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)