Energy Integration Consultant, Screenings
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
What makes you successful at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Leadership 10
- Customer Focused 9
- Responsible 9
- Positive 8
- Results Driven 7
- Communicator 6
- Socially Conscious 5
- Team player
“ As Community Coordinator, I am lucky enough to work with so many deserving organizations that assist so many people in need. I am able to support these agencies with grants that will help them thrive and continue to do the amazing work that they do for our community. Being a full-time working mother, National Grid is extremely family oriented and truly cares about their employee’s best interest. ”Natalie Terhaar Coordinator, Community & Cust Mgmt
“ It's easy to represent National Grid because of its values … safety, ethics, community involvement. I see how my work makes a difference. There's a clear line of sight to the company’s goals. ”Katie Information Systems
“ Our company’s strongest asset is its people, I love coming to work every day and being able interact with all our business groups and connect with different people on a daily basis. National Grid has a very customer-focused culture. At National Grid we all work together and help each other out as it will ultimately make us better for our customers. ”Kelsey Kennedy Associate Coordinator for Pipeline Programs
“ The most rewarding part about my role is being able to help others improve their craft daily. I also enjoy being able to help our customers. Being a face in the field that they can connect to, helping them understand what is happening and why, and keeping them safe. National Grid's culture is one of diversity, supportive of its employees, and focused on customer satisfaction. ”Martin Sobers Lead Supervisor Operations, Field Ops
“ The most rewarding aspect of my career is the opportunity to shape the future of how we deliver major capital projects for our customers. Our culture has a strong focus on meeting customer expectations, employee and public safety, and operational efficiency. ”Cedric Williams VP Complex Capital Delivery Program, Complex Capital Del Project Team
We support developing the skills and capabilities of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young people gain meaningful employment.Learn more about our Student Programs
About the Position:
National Grid is looking for a customer-facingprofessional who will own and manage the Distributed Generation (DG) Interconnection ApplicationDevelopment Process. Successful candidates will have strong technical, timemanagement and communication skills. The successful candidate will work withinternal and external stakeholders while developing primarily complex DGprojects from pre-application stages, including Step 0 inquiries, throughapplication processing stages, including application reviews and tariff basedscreens. Work must be completed inaccordance with regulatory, legislative and technical obligations. Candidatewill be part of a team responsible for managing the application through thebalance of the interconnection process. Asa DG subject matter expert, the candidate will also be expected to provideoutreach and educate others on DG initiatives.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
Obtaining and interpreting technical documentation
- Performing preliminary screenings (and feasibility reviews as necessary) per applicable standards
- Drafting contractual agreements
- Assisting project owners as needed throughout the interconnection process
- Manage expectations of customers, external vendors, contractors and consultants while ensuring timely delivery of utility services
- Assist in maintenance and development of National Grid’s customer application portal and work management system.
- Update procedures to support the design solutions that enhance Distributed Generation programs.
- Challenge existing policies and procedures to continuously seek ways to enhance customer service and cost-effectiveness.
- Provide technical guidance, support and coaching to others, both internally and externally) in order to share knowledge and increase understanding of Distributed Generation programs and services.
- Analyze and evaluate developments in Distributed Generation and Renewable Energy technologies in order to identify impact of different scenarios on the business and strategies for integrating cost efficiencies.
- Represent National Grid as needed in variousindustry associations or external outreach sessions.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering preferred (Electrical preferred) or other related field with minimum 3+ years of work experience
- Ability to develop proficiency with NY, MA, and RI tariffs, especially as they relate to Distributed Generation
- Familiarity with power system components, engineering concepts, project management and interconnections.
- Understanding of anti-islanding concepts and 3V0 protection issues
- Experience with renewable energies and utility industry a major plus.
- Ability to understand various regulatory policies and interconnection programs, especially those involving compensation (i.e net metering, SMART, VDER, REGrowth, etc)
- Able to read schematics, one-lines and three-lines, including relays, and recommend/oversee changes to documentation, .
- Ability to become proficient in the utilization of RCC database, GIS, FeedPro, ArcGIS, PI, etc
- Ability to enforce ESB756 and Specifications for Electrical Installations, especially as relates to secondary and primary metering.
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS), mapping systems or ability to be trained.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office software products.
- Experience with utility electric and gas construction a plus.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to represent the company in meeting andseminars, present material as needed.
- Demonstrates the ability to interpret information and analyze relationships among several parts of a problem or situation in order to clearly articulate the findings and anticipates obstacles and thinks ahead about next steps.
- Support and be part of a team environment.
- Understands theory behind policies and processes and demonstrates the ability to challenge existing processes and ways of working e.g. taking action to avoid future crisis or create opportunities to improve existing practices.
- Prior work experience in reviewing and discussing CHP/DG feasibility reviews, system impact studies and working successfully with consulting engineers and contractors preferred.
- Understands the importance of procedures and standards of working and demonstrates the ability to give directions or demonstrations with clear reasons and rationales.
- Be a coordinator for technical DG items that may arise with the National Grid customer base.
- Good knowledge of DG system design practices and installation standards.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertis
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise.We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve.National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.