Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring a Domain Architect - Gas Business Unit for our Gas Business in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
This position is seeking candidates who have 8+ years of IT experience and 3+ years of experience in IT architecture development with a background ingas utility business.
As a member of the Gas Domain Architecture team, this Domain Architect will be providing technical guidance and expertise to the programs and projects supporting the Gas Business Unit.
- Work with Key Business Stakeholders to understand the Business Strategy and Plan, supporting Business Architecture, and required capabilities for enabling business needs. Maintain current and future state business capability and application models.
- Develop deep understanding of the applications supporting the Gas Business domain and assesses how solutions align/fit within the broader enterprise architecture.
- Establish the value streams in scope for the programs and projects initiated to support the Gas Business Unit, and for each value stream creates a current state view of value stream, capabilities, master data, personas, applications, and key data flows. Create iterations of this same view for key transition states with dependencies within and outside of the programs and projects, setting the vision as delivery enabler.
- Provide guidance to an extended project team related to the solution architecture and technical design. Assist and advises project teams in the configuration, testing, implementation and support of technical solutions
- Work with Enterprise Architects to align domain-specific solutions with enterprise architecture standards and processes; understands surrounding solutions and enterprise information flow
- Author sizing and detailed estimates for complex new project requests. Participates in the creation of Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) models for large and complex projects.
- Maintain application portfolio roadmaps.
- Develop an understanding of the end to end business application processes and provides input into application roadmaps including recommendations of IT driven projects.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Is capable of communication with a wide audience, including senior stakeholders and a credible performer in senior executive forums
- Has strong stakeholder management and influencing skills covering colleagues, partners/vendors and project sponsors
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related discipline (required)
- Experience in documenting and defining value streams, business capabilities, master data, personas, applications, and key data flows.
- Experience in Enterprise Data Management and Governance for the electric and gas utility business.
- Experience in data architecture and data platform services including Business Intelligence, Reporting, Master Data Management, Cloud Data Platform and Data Integration Services.
- Working knowledge of mobility, cloud deployments and security architectures.
- Working knowledge of Security and Compliance policies and controls (e.g. Sarbanes Oxley, PCI, etc.)
- Experience in developing architecture patterns with both custom and COTS applications.
- Understands limitations and advantages of cloud environment.
- Develops understanding of key operations and data flows within utility industry.
- Strong technical skills around vendor product selection, software and technology analysis, business analytics, service-oriented architecture and convergence of cross utility functions.
- Expertise in one or more of the TOGAF (or equivalent framework) architectural domains in business, application, data, technology; have used architecture tools such as Troux, Alfabet, Sparx or equivalent.
- Experience in architectural support of Agile delivery framework and digital product lifecycle.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)