Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring for a Director of Program Assurance, IT PMO, for our Global IT PMO department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Reporting directly to the VP of Global IT PMO, partnering with the US & UK CIOs to drive project/program delivery excellence by providing standardised, independent assurance for IT Programs / Projects in National Grid.
• Accountable for the development, review and tracking of the IT PMO Global Program Assurance Framework that includes PMO Business Management Standards (BMS), Solution Delivery Framework (SDF), & program assurance for IT Delivery Center components.
• Oversees the development and maintenance of the Assurance framework, governance and metrics to ensure that the IT organization delivers value to the business
• Establishes and implements processes for the IT organization to ensure that the IT function is “doing the right thing,” such as the Solution Delivery Framework (SDF) and adherence to the Business Management Standards (BMS).
• Adds value to Programs/Projects by de-risking them and increasing probability of success
• Stakeholder engagement- Drives and facilitates effective collaboration and communications regarding program assurance between the IT organization, project/program team & stakeholders.
• Establish assurance governance to global Programs and Projects across IT including BP’s and Delivery centers (GSD, Security, I&O etc). Set standards and governance to increase delivery performance against time, cost & quality.
• As a member of the Senior IT Leadership Team, you will play a key role in the transformation of IT to meet the current and future needs of National Grid. Within a matrixed organization, you will want to actively contributes to the leadership, strategy setting and overall operation and performance of Global IT.
• Lead the development of a Global Assurance Framework and team that can support multi-million, muti-region IT portfolio to track project / program performance and ensure compliance against core delivery frameworks & management standards.
• Accountable for project/program management assurance - schedule/cost/scope management, risk management, quality assurance, project/program reporting, benefits realization tracking/reporting, stakeholder management, project integration, and communications
• Accountable for the governance of standards, methodologies, metrics definition, and process development, including Investment Planning, Solution Delivery Framework (SDF), Stage Gate assurance, and IT Sanctioning processes
• Establish cross functional governance for various IT PMO initiatives for efficiency tracking, governance of PMO BMS standards across IT, and business and other process improvement initiatives.
• Manage the provision of project & program management training to delivery teams, working with the resource management team to identify skill gaps, opportunities and development needs to create specific training modules
• Lead the Program Assurance team, ensuring proper skills and people development with appropriate levels of support across all assurance activities and functions.
• Oversee the delivery performance of the IT organization against defined process performance targets, and ensure that there are proper communication and continuous improvement efforts in place as necessary
• Accountable for the creation & maintenance of IT Knowledge Management for projects & programs, including Lessons Learned.
• Ensure governance and compliance for IT and Business Audits that require IT PMO assistance.
• Enterprise Program Assurance- Risk Management for cross functional program risk identification, mitigation plan and structured risk resolution by leveraging IMS (Integrated Master Schedule) and other risk registers.
• May assume full VP IT PMO responsibilities (or those responsibilities as directed) during their absence.
• Stays current with developments in PMO trends, new market trends and innovations in technology and the leadership of enterprise IT.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Has good leadership, relationship, communication and presentation skills.
- Has the ability to influence and manage senior stakeholders – e.g. program sponsors.
- Demonstrate the Valued Business Partner capabilities and behaviors in all interactions with IT Colleagues, vendors and business stakeholders.
Successful candidates will:
• Be a passionate and visionary technologist able to inspire others to challenge and disrupt the current reality and most importantly of all, able to take people along with you.
• Possess previous IT leadership experience commensurate with this significant and high-profile role gained at highly respected organizations and having successfully developed and executed program assurance in, desirably, a regulated environment
• Demonstrate significant experience in the development of effective business focused IT metrics and IT quality measurement
• Present with credibility to build strong relationships, and collaborate, with a wide variety of internal stakeholders and maintain an expert external network
• Demonstrate significant EQ skills to work with others in a matrix environment to achieve technology results interfacing across global delivery centers and in the wider business at all levels
• Be an inspirational leader, able to excite and develop internal and external ecosystem teams to deliver high performance
• Have developed highly tuned organizational change management skills and able to successfully lead existing IT organizations through transformation with courage and sensitivity
• Possess strong Program & Project Management expertise and experience, having managed large & complex IT programs for other large organizations
• Be able to communicate and co-ordinate multiple tasks simultaneously in a complex and dynamic organization, ensuring an effective balance between internally and externally facing activities
• Experience with building processes, maintaining process, governance of processes and process improvement
• Demonstrate technical credibility and independent judgment and decision-making responsibilities
• Possess a deep level of understanding of project & program management methodologies and frameworks, such as Agile & Waterfall.
• Strong relationship management and facilitation skills
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science/related field, or equivalent industry experience
• Extensive IT experience and deep technical knowledge
• MBA desirable
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)