Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring for a Director, Infrastructure Product Manager for our Infrastructure and Operations department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Organizations that want to keep pace with a flexible work world and attract and keep talented employees need to create a digital workplace where team members can work seamlessly anytime, from anywhere. National Grid must undergo significant transformation to create a digital workspace that will meet the growing needs of our Business and end users. The Infrastructure Product Manager will play a crucial role to help fulfil this mandate. This is a new and highly visible function within the End User Technology Experience (EUX) team, with future potential for growth and leadership for a qualified applicant.
The primary role entails driving strategic direction of the Real Time Collaboration Product Portfolio and managing a Product through its lifecycle. The Product Manager will work as the primary interface between senior stakeholders within IT and the NG Business to clearly define, communicate, document, and manage product requirements. The Product Manager will clearly articulate product vision, document and manage the product roadmap, determine TCO/ROI, the high level product release milestones and epics, and MVP. They produce clear line of sight into cost forecast, resource demand and leads EUX engineering to build an appropriately scalable and available Product that meets business requirements and delivers a world-class collaboration experience. Key partners include of the product managers are product owners to maintain and deliver the product backlog and continual service improvement, IT Finance, IT Business Strategy, and enterprise architecture. The Product Manager will also work closely with IT Communication and Business Enablement teams to ensure various modes of communication and training are used to market the Product and facilitate adoption. The Product Manager will also be responsible for building business cases, providing competitive analysis, and managing Service SLAs.
• Overall accountability of vision, roadmap, and delivery of the product. Owns the product strategy which drives the vision and roadmap, and manages the product throughout its entire lifecycle, not just the development phase.
• Manages or works closely with architecture, engineering, product owners, and delivery functions to provide the end-to-end product experience to end user customers.
• Provide insights into product, technology and market trends.
• Responsible for translation of business needs to product epics and MVP (when doing Agile) and business outcomes or technical requirements (when doing waterfall/phase-gate development)
• Oversight of product cNPS metrics, OKR and KPI metrics, product ROI and TCO.
• Be a champion of the MVP concept, distilling the product down to what is desirable, viable and feasible
• Responsible for the development of business cases and definition of product cost structures
• Work with IT Communications and Business Enablement teams to develop materials to market the product
• Drives to a smooth product transition to operations and support via infrastructure operations best practices such as ITIL, and a high capability maturity
• Develop communications to share roadmaps, release plans and product performance to key stakeholders
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Has proven leadership, relationship, communication, and presentation skills.
- Establishes relationships and maintains contacts with people from a variety of backgrounds. Effective and sensitive communicator in different societies and cultures.
- Conveys confidence and professionalism, positively influencing and persuading others to take a specific course of action.
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution in a technical discipline (computer science, electrical engineering)
• 5+ years experience if the realtime collaboration product market delivering capabilities such as audio/video conferencing, conference room experience design, persistent team collaboration, video streaming events, room reservation systems, crisis/incident alerting systems, screen sharing, virtual training.
• 4+ years experience as a Product Manager or equivalent
• Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in IT
• A demonstrated and focused desire to build powerful, simple, well-designed products and services that customers will love to use
• Working knowledge of agile development methodologies
• Experience launching multiple digital products
• An ability to think strategically and creatively, with the capacity for self-motivation, independent initiative and creative problem-solving
• Superior interpersonal and communication skills, writing proposals and presentations and interfacing with executive staff
• The ability to manage time and schedules for self and staff to meet aggressive deadlines and influence through persuasive written and verbal communication
• A diligent attention to detail and strong technical intuition, as well as the ability to set and manage expectations at the executive level
• Excellent leadership skills with experience collaborating and managing cross-functional teams
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)