A fast-paced dynamic environment where the focus is on our customers and the communities we serve. We are seeking individuals who are high energy, problem solvers and enjoy being part of a team. The call center is a great place to work and learn the utility business. There are opportunities throughout the company to grow into a long-term career.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Customer Service team player at Nationalgrid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Good Listener
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
- Technology Savvy
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
“National Grid changed my life and I’m pretty sure it will change yours too”
Supervisor Customer Contact Center
“Our Contact Center employees are the frontline of our organization.”
“I love what I do, I love what our organization stands for.”
Customer Contact Center Job Preview
Becoming a part of National Grid’s Customer Delivery team can open a world of endless career growth possibilities.
National Grid is hiring an Associate Consultant for our Customer Energy Integration Department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is looking for a customer-facing professional who will own and manage the Distributed Generation (DG) Interconnection Application Development Process. Successful candidates will have strong technical, time management and communication skills. The successful candidate will work with internal and external stakeholders while developing primarily complex DG projects from pre-application stages, including Step 0 inquiries, through application processing stages, including application reviews and tariff based screens. Work must be completed in accordance with regulatory, legislative and technical obligations. Candidate will be part of a team responsible for managing the application through the balance of the interconnection process. As a DG subject matter expert, the candidate will also be expected to provide outreach and educate others on DG initiatives.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Obtaining and interpreting technical documentation
- Performing preliminary screenings (and feasibility reviews as necessary) per applicable standards
- Drafting contractual agreements
- Assisting project owners as needed throughout the interconnection process
- Manage expectations of customers, external vendors, contractors and consultants while ensuring timely delivery of utility
- Assist in maintenance and development of National Grid’s customer application portal and work management system.
- Update procedures to support the design solutions that enhance Distributed Generation programs.
- Challenge existing policies and procedures to continuously seek ways to enhance customer service and costeffectiveness.
- Provide technical guidance, support and coaching to others, both internally and externally) in order to share knowledge
and increase understanding of Distributed Generation programs and services.
- Analyze and evaluate developments in Distributed Generation and Renewable Energy technologies in order to identify
impact of different scenarios on the business and strategies for integrating cost efficiencies.
- Represent National Grid as needed in various industry associations or external outreach sessions.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering preferred (Electrical preferred) or other related field with minimum of 1 - 3 years of work experience
- Ability to develop proficiency with NY, MA, and RI tariffs, especially as they relate to Distributed Generation
- Familiarity with power system components, engineering concepts, project management and interconnections.
- Understanding of anti-islanding concepts and 3V0 protection issues
- Experience with renewable energies and utility industry a major plus.
- Ability to understand various regulatory policies and interconnection programs, especially those involving compensation
(i.e net metering, SMART, VDER, REGrowth, etc)
- Able to read schematics, one-lines and three-lines, including relays, and recommend/oversee changes to
- Ability to become proficient in the utilization of RCC database, GIS, FeedPro, ArcGIS, PI, etc
- Ability to enforce ESB756 and Specifications for Electrical Installations, especially as relates to secondary and primary
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS), mapping systems or ability to be trained.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office software products.
- Experience with utility electric and gas construction a plus.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to represent the company in meeting and seminars, present material as needed.
- Demonstrates the ability to interpret information and analyze relationships among several parts of a problem or situation
in order to clearly articulate the findings and anticipates obstacles and thinks ahead about next steps.
- Support and be part of a team environment.
- Understands theory behind policies and processes and demonstrates the ability to challenge existing processes and
ways of working e.g. taking action to avoid future crisis or create opportunities to improve existing practices.
- Prior work experience in reviewing and discussing CHP/DG feasibility reviews, system impact studies and working
successfully with consulting engineers and contractors preferred.
- Understands the importance of procedures and standards of working and demonstrates the ability to give directions or
demonstrations with clear reasons and rationales.
- Be a coordinator for technical DG items that may arise with the National Grid customer base.
- Good knowledge of DG system design practices and installation standards.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.