Lead Project Manager, IS Projects Apply Now
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
We are currently looking for experienced Project Managers who will help us rebuild our in-house IT Project management and delivery capabilities. This person must be a self-starter, energetic and have a passion for Project Management and delivery. Projects will range from under $1M to well over $5M in size.
The Project Manager is accountable for managing the day to day activities related to delivering high quality, timely IT solutions to support our business, and ensuring the success of all projects under their supervision. Project managers work with the business to develop scope and estimates, develop project plans and timelines, and manage the project activities through delivery and implementation.
- Responsible for creating the project schedule and managing the plan, dependencies, risks, costs and resource allocation
- Direct, monitor and review all project work activities, including project costs, operational budgets, staffing requirements, project resources and project risks supported by comprehensive reporting
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget
- Resolve resourcing and asset conflicts using prioritization and negotiation
- Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule, and project costs using appropriate verification techniques
- Lead and drive cross functional teams to meet project deliverables and deadlines
- Ensure that the project implements changes which achieve the objectives that have been set and that the business benefits are realized
- Measure project performance using appropriate tools and techniques
- Concurrently manage multiple project teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Implement projects following National Grid approved Software Development Lifecycle model.
- Build, maintain and enhance working relationships with management members of lines of business, IS units and direct reports
- Establish and maintain relationships with third parties/vendors
- Provide support in transforming the IS organization into a proactive value-added business-focused service provider
- Ensure effective cross-functional teamwork among project team members, both internal and external business, IT and vendors.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions for change, work beyond the IT department to further optimize and improve existing process.
- Manage software development release cycle; coordinating resources, creating documentation and running release events.
- Demonstrates the Valued Business Partner capabilities and behaviours in all interactions with IS colleagues, vendors and business stakeholders
- May have line management responsibilities for the training, utilization, development and performance review of assigned staff*
- Ensure lessons learned are implemented across projects currently being managed.*
- Perform other duties as assigned by management
- BS in a relevant discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of professional experience demonstrating responsibility for participating in and/or managing large scale software development projects.
- Seven (7) years of project/program management or project leadership experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with internal and external customers at all organizational levels.
- Experience leading large scale projects, including development of plans for scope, timeline, budget, and change management.
- Experience conducting and leading team meetings to manage project activities, identify risks, and ensure project deliverables. Ability to manage change effectively.
- Demonstrated customer focus, attitude and excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building and managing project schedules using project management tools (Microsoft Project or similar).
- Experience with both waterfall and agile project delivery methods.
Leadership: Ability to lead both onsite and offsite teams through the completion of key capabilities that will help drive and support the business. Be a leader of all managed team members gaining respect of all while promoting a high energy, delivery oriented environment. Interact with leaders giving status updates and recommended strategies that will result in the delivery of high value solutions. A track record of directing, inspiring, and motivating others to achieve results which exceed expectations.
Communication: Must be able to communicate effectively with all members of the organization in person and during remote conferences. Ability to understand through communication the needs of the business and then translate that need into technical requirements for the project team. Ability to clearly explain application concepts and procedures to appropriate staff as necessary. Demonstrate excellent communication skills by being able to converse with technical and non-technical people; write concise and clear reports; and make effective presentations.
- Ability to be self-directed and motivated. An impeccable reputation for honesty, integrity, and for doing the right thing - a role model for others. A collaborative style that emphasizes teamwork, values the contributions of each team member, and encourages participation in achieving results for the organization and its customers. Ability to listen and learn from others.
- Experience working in the energy space
- Demonstrated experience working with IT Projects
- Current experience with Waterfall or Agile methodology
- Proven experience leading medium to large programs
- Broad experience managing teams
- Ability to interface effectively and collaborating with third party entities
- Ability to work off hours
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.Apply Now