Engine System Technician - A
Queens, New York
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
What makes you successful at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Leadership 10
- Customer Focused 9
- Responsible 9
- Positive 8
- Results Driven 7
- Communicator 6
- Socially Conscious 5
- Team player
“ As Community Coordinator, I am lucky enough to work with so many deserving organizations that assist so many people in need. I am able to support these agencies with grants that will help them thrive and continue to do the amazing work that they do for our community. Being a full-time working mother, National Grid is extremely family oriented and truly cares about their employee’s best interest. ”Natalie Terhaar Coordinator, Community & Cust Mgmt
“ It's easy to represent National Grid because of its values … safety, ethics, community involvement. I see how my work makes a difference. There's a clear line of sight to the company’s goals. ”Katie Information Systems
“ Our company’s strongest asset is its people, I love coming to work every day and being able interact with all our business groups and connect with different people on a daily basis. National Grid has a very customer-focused culture. At National Grid we all work together and help each other out as it will ultimately make us better for our customers. ”Kelsey Kennedy Associate Coordinator for Pipeline Programs
“ The most rewarding part about my role is being able to help others improve their craft daily. I also enjoy being able to help our customers. Being a face in the field that they can connect to, helping them understand what is happening and why, and keeping them safe. National Grid's culture is one of diversity, supportive of its employees, and focused on customer satisfaction. ”Martin Sobers Lead Supervisor Operations, Field Ops
“ The most rewarding aspect of my career is the opportunity to shape the future of how we deliver major capital projects for our customers. Our culture has a strong focus on meeting customer expectations, employee and public safety, and operational efficiency. ”Cedric Williams VP Complex Capital Delivery Program, Complex Capital Del Project Team
We support developing the skills and capabilities of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young people gain meaningful employment.Learn more about our Student Programs
Location: Queens, NY
Pay Rate: $45.63
- Read and interpret basic wiring schematics and building blue prints.
- Perform general maintenance on engine control panels, switchgear and A.T.S.
- Perform top end and major overhaul of engine driven systems.
- Perform scheduled PM Services on Engine / Generators.
- Perform engine troubleshooting on service calls.
- Repair and maintain various engine mechanical systems, Diesel and Natural Gas. To Include: Electronic Governors, Impco Gas System, Caterpillar and other fuel injection system, Electronic ignitions
- Demonstrate proficiency in general Power Plant maintenance
- Effectively communicate orally, and in writing with all customers and office.
- The ability to use diagnostic tools such as multimeter, manometer, borescope, vibration meter, Caterpillar test box and other required manufactures tooling
- Ability to follow through and carry out assignments, problem solving skills and sound judgment.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- These duties are not meant to be all-inclusive, but represent the typical type of work performed by employees in each job classification. The Company reserves the right to add, modify, or delete the duties or responsibilities shown as it deems appropriate. Employees in each job classification will also perform, as required, all duties of lower rated job classifications
. Practice Field Assessment Test:
- Certifications to perform above task
- Driver License
- A minimum of 5 years Generator experience
- High School Diploma
- Technical School Diploma
- Without direct supervision, will be responsible for the general maintenance and operation for generation equipment, typically required of a engine system technician
- 24/7 on Call
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.