Energy Plant Technician B Plus
Queens, New York
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
What makes you successful at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Leadership 10
- Customer Focused 9
- Responsible 9
- Positive 8
- Results Driven 7
- Communicator 6
- Socially Conscious 5
- Team player
“ As Community Coordinator, I am lucky enough to work with so many deserving organizations that assist so many people in need. I am able to support these agencies with grants that will help them thrive and continue to do the amazing work that they do for our community. Being a full-time working mother, National Grid is extremely family oriented and truly cares about their employee’s best interest. ”Natalie Terhaar Coordinator, Community & Cust Mgmt
“ It's easy to represent National Grid because of its values … safety, ethics, community involvement. I see how my work makes a difference. There's a clear line of sight to the company’s goals. ”Katie Information Systems
“ Our company’s strongest asset is its people, I love coming to work every day and being able interact with all our business groups and connect with different people on a daily basis. National Grid has a very customer-focused culture. At National Grid we all work together and help each other out as it will ultimately make us better for our customers. ”Kelsey Kennedy Associate Coordinator for Pipeline Programs
“ The most rewarding part about my role is being able to help others improve their craft daily. I also enjoy being able to help our customers. Being a face in the field that they can connect to, helping them understand what is happening and why, and keeping them safe. National Grid's culture is one of diversity, supportive of its employees, and focused on customer satisfaction. ”Martin Sobers Lead Supervisor Operations, Field Ops
“ The most rewarding aspect of my career is the opportunity to shape the future of how we deliver major capital projects for our customers. Our culture has a strong focus on meeting customer expectations, employee and public safety, and operational efficiency. ”Cedric Williams VP Complex Capital Delivery Program, Complex Capital Del Project Team
We support developing the skills and capabilities of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young people gain meaningful employment.Learn more about our Student Programs
Under the direct supervision of the plant superintendent, be responsible for the coordination and accomplishment of plant maintenance and operation work, perform all duties related to and typically required of a journeyman mechanic. In order to accomplish these tasks, safe, recognized, and industry-wide accepted procedures and techniques will be employed.
Pay Rate: $34.63
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
***The job duties listed below will be precursory to all the responsibilities listed under the job description of energy plant technician “C”
- Be responsible for maintaining a plant log, detailing weather, equipment online, relevant plant conditions and work performed while on watch.
- Perform hourly equipment (chillers, boilers) rounds [(read thermometers and gauges and record readings). Maintain and store these records for documenting plant history.
- Perform equipment inspection at the beginning of each shift and record the results. (Maintain and store these documents for future reference.)
- Perform chemical analysis of all water systems and treat accordingly.
- Make necessary repairs and maintain the aforementioned systems according to established maintenance schedules and appropriate maintenance functions as indicated by the manufacturer's specifications.
- Follow supervisory guidelines and good trade practices to minimize breakdowns and other interruptions in service.
- Report any discrepancies or necessary follow-ups to lead man or manager.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Effectively perform in a service environment, individually or in teams as well as with other building personnel.
- Have the technical and mechanical ability to report to various job sites and perform maintenance tasks and troubleshooting of all systems.
- Read blue prints and schematics to troubleshoot and diagnose plant conditions.
- May have minor supervisory duties when a helper is assigned to assist in the work of the mechanic.
- Inspect and operate air conditioning units (up to 100 tons) and related machinery. Unlimited tonnage when absorption units are used as the primary cooling equipment. This would include the determination that the equipment is functioning properly and within acceptable parameters.
- Other duties as assigned by supervision.
- NYC Low Pressure Oil Burner Certificate.
- NYC Air Compressor & Gases Certificate.
- Drivers License.
- · A minimum of 3 years if the promotion is in-house.
- A minimum of 5 years related experience if hired outside.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Physical demands and working conditions.
- Shift work.
Practice Field Assessment Test:
Please be advised that due to the nature of this position, incumbents are subject to US Department of Transportation ("DOT") safety regulations.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team