Job DescriptionApply Now
Manager - Power Plant OperationsJob ID 20180077 Date posted 01/13/2018
About the Position:
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Manage operating, outage, daily and long range functions of the generating station in accordance with Company goals and objectives.
- Administers, through the Operating Controls Engineer and/or Shift Supervisor, the efficient operation of the generating station.
- Administers, through the Maintenance Engineer and/or Maintenance Foreperson, the effective maintenance of the generating station.
- Administers employee relations through Company Policy and Procedures as well as interpretation of the Company-Union Contracts.
- Administers the generating station's safety program.
- Is directly responsible for the administration of all functions, both day to day and long range of the generating station in accordance with Company goals and objectives. Proposes concrete objectives and plans for achievement of goals.
- Responsible for the preparation and control of the generating station's $10-70 million expense and capital budget.
- Responsible for timely decisions in regard to equipment operation with the potential impact of greater than $100,000 per day of replacement generation.
- Responsible for equipment repair and replacement, costing millions of dollars.
- Responsible for the proper staffing and development of generating station personnel.
- Responsible for 3-12 management personnel as well as 10-40 bargaining unit personnel. Guides and enables employees to accomplish performance objectives. Fosters a fair and trusting environment through open communications.
- Responsible to plan and implement small outages utilizing personnel from Plant Staff, MSD, and contractors.
- Creates value for customers on an ongoing basis.
- Must be available for immediate consultations by subordinates beyond normal work hours
- On a rotating basis, acts as a Division Standby Supervisor who responds to after hours request for maintenance assistance
- Maintain compliance with organizational Operating, Maintenance and Controls programs.
- Provide technical support on operations, systems, equipment and processes.
- Train and develop workforce competencies
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- A strong background in Industrial Management is desirable with excellent interpersonal and managerial skills.
- Knowledge and a good working understanding is required in the areas of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, machine design, computers, electrical circuits and metallurgy.
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering is required preferably in mechanical or electrical.
- Seven to ten years of power plant experience in multiple positions at several plants is required.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.