Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business
The US Incident Analyst leads the response to major and complex cyber security incidents affecting National Grid’s systems and data, ensuring that incidents are detected and responded to effectively, causing minimal impact to business operations.
This role serves as the primary escalation point for National Grid’s 24/7 Cyber Security Operations Centre (CSOC) and is responsible for the co-ordination of disparate global teams to determine and manage the appropriate response to security events, depending on actual or potential business impact. The role will also identify and define systemic underlying causes of impacting events and make recommendations for corrective actions and track their implementation.
The post holder will have excellent knowledge of National Grid’s global business operations and drivers for success. They will have the ability to identify and effectively communicate to a range of stakeholders including the core National Grid businesses, Information Technology (IT), IT eco-system partners and Government Agencies.
They will drive continuous improvement increasing National Grid’s resilience to cyber-attack by learning from incidents and driving continuous business improvement within Security, IT and the business and support the mission of protecting, detecting and correcting any impact incidents.
The US Incident Analyst position is Monday – Friday within core business hours. Participation in an on-call rotation, including evenings, weekends and holidays is required.
• Manage the response to security events and incidents which impact or have the potential to restrict National Grid’s ability to carry out business;
• Perform in-depth analysis of incidents, investigating major incidents to identify key risks and recommend appropriate controls;
• Produce remediation plans and lead their execution with IT partners;
• Lead the Post Incident Review process for major incidents, identifying root cause and producing final reports and key recommendations;
• Co-ordinate response efforts and provide appropriate and timely updates to affected business areas;
• Work with IT Infrastructure and Application teams to drive closure of actions identified during incident management;
• Assist continuous improvement efforts by identifying opportunities for process improvement;
• Perform report writing, documenting procedures and workflows, documentation review and improvements and engaging with projects to drive efficiencies;
• Work with global teams and Line of Business contacts for issue escalations and resolution;
• Planning, coordination and execution of cyber security exercises and follow up actions/lessons learned;
• Delivery of daily, weekly, monthly and ad-hoc reporting and metrics, to identify trends formulate remediation strategies;
• Business Continuity Planning
Technical qualifications should include but are not limited to:
• Relevant experience in a Security Operations environment is greatly desired;
• One or more of the following certifications are preferred: CISSP, GIAC Certifications - GCIA, GCIH
• Knowledge of network, host and application security, intrusion detection and/or other security event analysis, vulnerability management, forensics, system operations and cyber intelligence a plus;
• Understanding of Windows and Linux Operating Systems;
• Understanding of TCP/IP and underlying network protocols
• Relevant work experience in a Security or IT Operations environment; specifically, incident management duties;
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate and respond to security incidents, with knowledge of commercial or opensource security technologies;
• Experience with Incident Response methodology in investigations, and the groups behind targeted attacks and tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs);
• Comprehension of how attacks exploit operating systems and protocols;
• Knowledge of relevant US and UK regulatory frameworks, e.g. NERC CIP, GDPR, NISD, RIIO;
• Strong Analytical, deductive reasoning, critical thinking, problem solving, and prioritization skills;
• Strong Team Player with ability to take charge of their area of expertise, collaborates well with others to solve problems and actively incorporate input from various sources;
• Understanding Organizational Risk as it applies to cyber security;
• Ability to present complex solutions and methods to a general community and the higher management;
• Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills to work with diverse personnel and stakeholders regionally and globally;
• Ability to work with a sense of urgency and pay attention to detail;
• Solid understanding of business organization and processes
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)