Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
A full-time role with the main function of triaging, responding to alerts that enter National Grid’s Cyber Infrastructure. This role will also be providing recommendations for Security Automation and Orchestration Response (SOAR) methodologies for the Cyber Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT).
- Actively manage alerts that require a higher level of technical acumen to respond to;
- Provide process improvement toward response playbooks and work instructions;
- Active management of the security automation program within the CSIRT;
- Provide feedback on incident tickets and response coordination;
- Periodic Duty Manager on-call for incidents outside of office hours;
- Develop scripting resolutions for automation within the CSIRT;
- Develop tuning requirements for in-place security solutions;
- Review response requirements on a regular basis tailored to each incident type.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Supervisory experience of shift personnel.
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent combination of education and experience);
- ITIL Certification or other relevant industry qualification;
- Information / digital security qualifications would be advantageous.
- Experience in Bash, PowerShell and Python scripting;
- Knowledge of the MITRE ATT&CK Framework;
- Experience with SOAR methodologies is a must;
- Ability to work in a highly dynamic geographically distributed team;
- An appreciation of the current nature of cyber related threats faced by the energy industry and wider ‘UK PLC’ is essential;
- Ability to work independently of day to day direct management;
- Understanding of the potential business consequences to National Grid business of not responding to alerts appropriately;
- Willingness to develop greater technical cyber response skills;
- Knowledge of SCADA systems would be advantageous
- A good understanding of the OSI stack and the various protocols from layer 1 – 7, including: TCP/IP, IPv6, IPsec, DNS, SNMP, SMTP, HTTP/S, 802.11, etc.;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate at a technical level;
- unparalleled attention to detail with the ability to review the work of peers;
- Ability to document findings to a high standard;
- Ability to understand and explain PCAP analyses
- Ability to manage and balance own time among multiple tasks.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)