Job DescriptionApply Now
Associate System OperatorJob ID 20172197 Date posted 09/19/2017
About the Position:
- Consolidate information from a variety of sources such as EMS alarms, switching orders, field reports and OMS to accurately validate, analyze and report outage duration, number of customers impacted, cause and circumstances.
- Direct the sectionalizing of faulted equipment and return customers to service.
- Analyze normal / abnormal operating conditions utilizing Energy Management Systems and other computer resources such as G.I.S. and P.I.
- Reconfigure the power system so that equipment operates within its rating.
- Initiate emergency procedures when the system is in distress.
- Be proactive in communicating outage status to various stakeholders such as operations management, executive management, corporate communication, customers, engineering, municipal and regulatory staff as appropriate.
- Receive and respond to police, fire, customer service calls as needed.
- Provide support during system emergencies including off-hours.
- Work reasonable amounts of planned and unplanned overtime.
- The Control Centers operate on a 24/7 basis. Coverage is accomplished via a rotating shift schedule. Individual daily shift duration is predominantly 12 hours, with some combination of 8 hour coverage scheduled to match peak workload.
- May be required on occasion to travel to an alternate Control Center facility.
- Applicable Clearance and Controls training (e.g. GO14/OI-30005/OI-20002).
Demonstrated personal accountability for delivering excellence.
Ensure accuracy and completeness of outage data in Outage Management System.
- Establish restoration priorities and dispatch resources as appropriate.
- Complete Control Center logs and reports.
- Receive and analyze trouble calls and dispatch personnel as required.
- Assist in analyzing (through field reports, alarms and real time system status) causes of trouble.
- May be required to back up other regional Control Centers during emergencies.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- 2-year or higher Technical Degree (i.e. Engineering or Engineering Technology) or 4 years equivalent experience.
- Electrical or gas utility experience preferred.
- Candidates must successfully pass an aptitude assessment NERC CIP qualified (on-line test and required background check).
- Must have working knowledge of basic computer software applications.
- Ability to assimilate data from a variety of sources and quickly formulate and execute action plans during high periods of stress.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent written communication, oral communication, and inquiry resolution skills.
- Ability to adapt to Rotating Shifts, flexibility to change schedule during emergencies.
- Understanding of electric network connectivity required.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise.We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve.National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.