Our IT ambition is to be recognized for ‘Transforming National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future’.
Market innovation will drive the digital utility.
We plan to enhance our IT offerings, mature the way we interact with our business partners, and transform the culture of our teams.
Culturally, we will be placing a stronger emphasis on designing systems around the end user. We are establishing an operating model based on accountability and empowering our workforce to share ideas and drive continuous improvement. There will be clear career options within the company, both management and technical. We are focusing on enhancing and investing in both leadership capability and developing necessary technical expertise.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes you a successful Information Technology team player at National Grid?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Results Driven
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
National Grid is hiring a Director, Program Manager for our Transformation & Digital Adoption department in Brooklyn, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is building a new Center of Competence (COC) for Program Management to establish a centralized hub for Program Management knowledge, expertise, and delivery. The Program Management COC will provide Program Mangers to BUs for highly complex cross-enterprise transformation programs over $25M. The Program Management COC will manage the end-to-end transformation lifecycle, from initial intake to mobilization, and the management of individual programs.
The Program Manager, with the guidance from the COC Lead, support the planning, development, and delivery of Program Management services. This role will ensure Program Management quality through standardized methodology and tools.
- Guide transformation efforts by providing subject matter knowledge in program management and delivery of large-scale transformations
- Champion the improvement and standardization of PM related processes
- Support COC lead to partner with BU leadership to fully understand PM requirements and coordinate recruitment / release from the Program Management COC
- Drive implementation of standardized tools, methodologies, and processes across programs to enforce best practices, improve compliance, and facilitate consistent reporting
- Maintain comprehensive documentation and reporting suites that contain accurate status updates for all inflight and upcoming programs and provide RMO, P+P, and other business leaders access as necessary
- Advance the production plan in conjunction with the PMs and BU leaders. The production plan is the overall program delivery plan for the next 2 years covering both current and future programs and overall program dependencies
- Directs, monitors and reviews all program activities, including program costs, operational budgets, staffing requirements, program resources and program risks supported by comprehensive reporting
- Manages dependencies, risks, plans, costs and resourcing needs within programs
- Resolves resourcing and asset conflicts using prioritisation and negotiation
- Ensures that the program implements changes which achieve the objectives that have been set and that the business benefits are realised
- Guides senior business stakeholders to solutions that maximise National Grid investments in technology and influences their direction towards re-usable solutions.
- Ensure effective transition planning to minimise risk
- Manages program change, through regular reassessment of program priorities, resolving conflicts.
- Undertake formal reviews of the program and its achievements
- Manage and influence stakeholders
Knowledge, Experience and Technical Know How
- Advanced knowledge of current PM industry standards
- Extensive experience as a Program Manager on large-scale, multi-national or cross-functional programs
- Extensive experience managing multiple programs / projects for a variety of clients
- Strong leadership skills with respect to prioritization, organization, teambuilding, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in agile, ambiguous situations and create structure to drive results
- Demonstrated success working cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders, including the ability to establish rapport at a variety of levels
- Ability to influence, persuade, and engage a diverse group of stakeholders
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills
Essential (at appointment):
- Bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, engineering, data analytics, or similar field
- US [10+ years’ minimum of program management experience]
- Demonstrated success leading numerous large scale, cross-functional, and global transformation programs/projects
- Proven track record of leading and managing Program Management staff in a large, complex, global organization
- In-depth knowledge of PRINCE2, Managing Successful Programs, Management of Risk, Management of Portfolios, APM, PMI, Agile Scrum Techniques
- Master’s in Business Administration (MBA)
- Reports regularly to governance committees, RMO and P+P teams to provide updates on progress of transformation programs
- Collaborates with BU Leadership to understand PM needs and to ensure programs are running according to plan
- Coordinates with Transformation Change Management COE to align on change management needs
- Business Relationship Management
- Project Management Practice Managers
- Resourcing Leads and Managers
- Infrastructure & Operations
- Strategy and Architecture
- Business Managers and Directors
- Supplier and Product Vendor Organisation Managers
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
We support developing the skills and capabilities
of young people in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
subjects. It supports our future talent recruitment and our desire to see young
people gain meaningful employment.
Learn more about our Student Programs
News, debate and analysis on the US energy industry
U.S. Connecting is our thought-leadership site providing news, debate and analysis for internal and extrenal audiences.
Back to Job Navigation (Trending)