National Grid is hiring a System Operator for our Distribution Electric Control Center department in Altamont, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
About the Position:
Annual salary 83k-110k (determined by qualifications)
Under direct supervision to control, direct and monitor electric substations, subtransmission networks, substations and distribution facilities within a Regional Control Center's jurisdiction including making load, voltage and reactive adjustments using state of the art equipment.
To perform such activities as:
- Direct switching operations and routine testing.
- Administer Company Clearance and Control rules and other equipment tests as directed.
- Control and direct restoration procedures for interruptions and disturbances, including dispatching of personnel.
- Monitor security and other alarms for stations and other Company facilities.
- Record readings, log information and compile and issue reports connected with the operation of the system.
- Receive and analyze trouble calls and dispatch personnel as required.
- Dispatch personnel involved with construction, maintenance and operations.
- Associates degree in Electrical Technology or bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (power options preferred) is desirable or HS Diploma with extensive experience in related electric transmission and distribution facility operations.
- Role typically requires a minimum of 5 years’ experience in related electric transmission and distribution facility operations. Control room experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of power system operations and equipment.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have an operating knowledge of personal computers including MS Windows Software including Word and Excel.
- Ability to work rotating shifts.
Employees hired into this role will auto progress to fully qualified over 24 months with salary up to 120k annually.
We hire the best and brightest. Our competitive rewards package includes a wide variety of benefits to support employees and family wellbeing. Please look here for more information on our benefits. National Grid | Home (ngbenefitslivebrighter.com)