Job DescriptionApply Now
Gas Distribution Engineer, Distribution Asset ManagementJob ID 20170336 Date posted 05/12/2017
About the Position:
To provide technical expertise and support from an engineering perspective to ensure safe and effective operation, maintenance and enhancement of National Grid’s gas distribution network in accordance with the corporate strategic plan.
At the lower levels this can encompass a range of duties including standard gas capacity assessments, system operating procedure reviews, facility/integrity assessment, and/or participation in small and large scale engineering projects.
At the higher levels this role will lead the design, planning and engineering efforts and program development associated with integrity and reliability programs and complex projects in order to ensure effective operations. In addition,the individual is responsible for ensuring other National Grid business units are provided with the appropriate technical expertise to meet strategic requirements.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Perform basic or standard engineering analysis and provide recommendations associated with gas capacity requests, system operating procedures, equipment and facility integrity assessments, and system analysis.
- Perform basic or standard engineering analysis/calculations and designs (e.g., site layout, piping design, material specification, etc..) associated with small scale complex projects and/or participate in large scale complex projects.
- Independently collate and analyze data within one area using pre-determined tools, methods and formats in order to support the department’s decision making process. (DA1)
- Execute instructions and requests, plan and organize resources and make appropriate arrangements to ensure that work is carried out efficiently and in line with relevant policies and processes. (PI1
- Test and challenge existing procedures and highlight areas for improvement in order to ensure they are robust. (CI1)
- Develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders in order to obtain and share information that will benefit National Grid. (BP1)
- Undertake specific tasks of varying complexity in order to support colleagues in the design of technical solutions. (TR1)
- Build upon technical/professional skills within own area of specialism or of other processes in order to continually grow your personal contribution to the business. (PS1)
- Conduct specific projects within area of capability and perform engineering studies, analysis and investigations, under supervision, in order to recommend corrective action in problem areas, or to prevent problems.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Technology from an ABET accredited engineering school. Professional experience will determine appropriate engineering position.
- Knowledge of relevant industry practice, standards and legislation.
- Knowledge of current trends within the industry and developments in legislation or regulation.
- Need to posses a driver's license with safe driving history required.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Work in a Project Management team environment.
- Adapts approach and considers what is important to the audience and tailors message accordingly.
- Actively builds and maintains a network of relationships, outside normal business contacts.
- Takes personal responsibility for correcting problems promptly and undefensively and communicates engineering customer expectations to monitor delivery of engineering projects and satisfaction.
- Proactively makes changes to improve performance, efficiency and effectiveness of processes, for example challenge existing engineering procedures and highlight areas for improvement.
- Possesses positive expectations for team members and expresses regard for them.
- Is receptive to change and is willing to change ideas or opinions based on new information or contrary evidence.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise.We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve.National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.