Job DescriptionApply Now
Quality Inspector – Gas Materials StandardsJob ID 20170475 Date posted 02/23/2017
About the Position:
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Perform required inspections on incoming materials at our warehouse locations meeting the requirements of the MEQIP Policy:
- Determine sample size and thresholds for accepting or rejecting materials per ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 Level II AQL2.5.
- Test all critical characteristics per Specification Check Lists using appropriate tools and record results.
- Maintain and Document all results in relevant databases.
- Report findings and coordinate material disposition.
- Collect, sort, and analyze inspection data in order to identify deficiencies and overall trends and patterns which may adversely impact the quality and safety.
- Conduct benchmarking in order to recommend the implementation of best practices to drive higher quality and safety.
- Provide recommendations and assist in implementing corrective actions in order to improve the quality.
- Support Warehouse Personnel on material quality and identification.
- Undertake duties as assigned for quality concerns reported at remote location within the Region.
- Propose and lead the implementation of updated policies regarding MEQIP resulting in increased efficiency, improved quality and/or reduced costs.
- Ability to perform inspections for both Gas and Electric.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- Associates Degree or 2+ years of formal technical training or in lieu of a degree, demonstrated equivalent with a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Quality Inspector Certification (CQI) desirable.
- Ability to read and understand industry standards as outlined within material specifications.
- Should possess a minimum of five years field experience with materials utilized within our industry.
- Strong knowledge of work and safety rules, work methods, standard operating procedures and regulations is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to develop, maintain and manage relationships at all levels within the Company.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must, as are excellent observation and documentation abilities and a high degree of personal integrity. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, confident, efficient, decisive and committed to a strong and consistent quality inspection program.
- Working knowledge of personal computer applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Regional and limited cross-regional travel for the performance of departmental duties is required .
- Ability to work independently with ability to interact with others, as needed.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be thorough and detail oriented.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and be able to travel as required.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to deal with changing conditions and requirements.
- Analytical thinking: Sees multiple relationships, identifying several likely causes of a safety or compliance problem or the consequences of poor quality.
- Conceptual thinking: Sees patterns or trends in safety and compliance inspection/audit data, notices when deficiencies are similar to past situations.
- Impact and influence: Adapts inspection, audit, and feedback approach and considers what is important to the audience.
- Teamwork and collaboration: Promotes teamwork and team effectiveness among Standards Department and other inspectors, communicating expectations of the team and delegating responsibilities while providing support and structure.
- Information Seeking: Establishes the facts by digging deeper, asking probing questions and challenging initial responses from different sources.
- Ability to work directly with outside vendors to resolve quality and/or defects with inventory.
- Capable of analyzing common equipment quality problems and presenting corrective actions up to and including disqualification of vendors.
- Capable of working with Material Standards Engineers to modify, update and create Material Standards as needed.
- Leveraging Networks: Actively builds and maintains a network of relationships, outside normal business contacts.
- Team Leadership: Promotes team effectiveness by soliciting input from team members, communicating expectations of the team and delegating responsibilities while providing support and structure.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise.We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve.National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.